Sunday, August 28, 2016

Where have all the Sea Lions gone?

I have been to one’s in Chicago, Geelong and Brighton UK, and now I can cross San Fran off my list…  Where you say?  Pier 39 of course. Just like the others, an old pier that has been lovingly restored as a tourist mecca of shops, restaurants ,and not forgetting the ever popular vintage Carousel.

Filling in time before visiting Alcatraz we decided to explore Pier 39. Bubba Gumps, Boudins and The Hard Rock Café line the boardwalk, with fillers in-between of shops selling every type of souvenir imaginable.

But where have all the Sea Lions gone?  Just behind Pier 39 is K Dock with its floating pontoons, and like with anything flat floating in the water, is home to hundreds of Sea Lions… that is unless you are visiting in August…  Apparently they migrate to breed, so today there were only a few still around to amuse the crowds. 

It was a fun place that was abuzz with tourists, local and international.  The day was made even more memorable, when whilst waiting in line to order coffees, a friendly young man “Theodopoulos” decided to chat…  Telling him we only arrived that morning the banter started.  “what you are on 75-day cruise, how do you that?” ... I told him I found myself a “Sugar Daddy.” Roaring with laughter he said “Man, I have to find myself a Sugar Mumma”, his girlfriend said “don’t look at me, I need to get a job that pays better, hey I need a job” and the laughter continued...  So enchanted by our stories of Australia he offered to buy my coffee… thanking him for this lovely gesture I told him that I needed six, and as the look of fear came across his face, and with a smile I kindly declined and it was quickly replaced with sheer relief.  After a few tourist tips from him we bade each other farewell and filed that away as other great experience…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment